Recently a team of scientists successfully created an image for the core of the M87 galaxy using an array of radio telescopes.
Now they must explain what is observed in the image and how it works.
Before this image this was the description for M87:
Messier 87 is a supergiant elliptical galaxy in the constellation Virgo. One of the most massive galaxies in the local Universe, it has a large population of globular clusters, and a jet of energetic plasma that originates at the core and extends at least 4,900 light-years), traveling at relativistic speed. It is one of the brightest radio sources in the sky .
M87 is about 53 million light-years from Earth and is the second-brightest galaxy and has no distinctive dust lanes and has an almost featureless, ellipsoidal shape typical of most giant elliptical galaxies.
The galaxy is a strong source of multiwavelength radiation, particularly radio waves.
The spectrum of the nuclear region of M87 shows the emission lines of various ions, including hydrogen (HI, HII), helium (HeI), oxygen (OI, OII, OIII), nitrogen (NI), magnesium (MgII) and sulfur (SII). The line intensities for weakly ionized atoms (such as neutral atomic oxygen, OI) are stronger than those of strongly ionized atoms (such as doubly ionized oxygen, OIII). A galactic nucleus with such spectral properties is termed a LINER, for "low-ionization nuclear emission-line region". The mechanism and source of weak-line-dominated ionization in LINERs and M87 are under debate.
n 1947, a prominent radio source, Virgo A, was identified overlapping the location of M87. The source was confirmed to be M87 by 1953.
In 1966, the Aerobee 150 rocket identified Virgo X-1, the first X-ray source in Virgo. Subsequent X-ray observations showed a complex source that included the active galactic nucleus of M87. However, there is little central concentration of the X-ray emission.
This galaxy is a source for both radio and X-rays but has no observed concentrated object as the source of this broad spectrum electromagnetic radiation. The two jets are observed in a line through the core but moving away in opposite directions.
The spectrum has emission lines for a variety of elements so these are loose ions, apparently around the core. The simplest explanation for this spectrum spanning radio to X-ray is synchrotron radiation, generated by an electric current bending in a magnetic field; this radiation is generated without needing matter. the source of the radiation is the path of the current.
The jets are associated with this synchrotron radiation generation (SRG).
To explain all of the above cosmologists propose this:
A supermassive black hole is at the core and it has an accretion disk and a dust ring.
This is a woefully inadequate explanation.
Modern cosmology is stuck on gravity and mass; electromagnetic effects are considered trivial.
The SMBH brings an awesome amount of gravity. However it has no matter.All the original matter is compressed into a point, a zero radius sphere. All the protons, neutrons, electrons are gone; what remains is only gravity.
Amazingly the gravity of the SMBH is unable to consume the many ions generating emission lines.
The SMBH cannot generate any electromagnetic radiation because it has no matter having defined energy states. Matter is required to do what the SMBH cannot do so the SMBH is given a dust ring and an accretion disk.
However both the ring and disk are incapable of SRG.
Perhaps cosmologists propose an old technology technique fo X-rays:
An X-ray tube is a simple vacuum tube that contains a cathode, which directs a stream of electrons into a vacuum, and an anode, which collects the electrons and is made of tungsten to evacuate the heat generated by the collision. When the electrons collide with the target, about 1% of the resulting energy is emitted as X-rays, with the remaining 99% released as heat. Due to the high energy of the electrons that reach relativistic speeds the target is usually made of tungsten even if other material can be used particularly in XRF applications.
An X-ray generator also needs to contain a cooling system to cool the anode; many X-ray generators use water or oil recirculating systems.
There is no observed tungsten in M87, nor is there an identified source for high energy electrons.
Cosmlogists must explain how the radio waves and X-rays are being generated in their theory.
Right now there is an image taken in a radio frequency. I have seen no explanation for radio waves from a ring, or X-rays (which are not part of the EHT).
I assume the real M87 galaxy has a SRG mechanism and not this proposed SMBH mix up. I expect eventually two large current filaments will be obseved in M87 just like at the Milky Way Center for its X-rays.
If that is not the case in M87 then cosmologists must explain how this other theoretical mechanism actually works.
Hit back to go to previous page in history.
Select Cosmology to see other posts and comments to that group.